Chilled Prepared Food Sector Sustainability Aims
CFA will continue to provide leadership on sustainability to the UK chilled prepared food manufacturing sector by:
- encouraging it to minimise its carbon footprint
- helping setting performance targets
- assisting the development of means of monitoring against them
- generating research to support knowledge and
- playing a leading role in the further development of Government and industry sustainability policy.
CFA’s Sustainability Aims are:
- Achieve a 20% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2010 compared with 1990 and aspiring to a 30% reduction by 2020 and 40% by 2023.
- Make significant reductions in water use to help reduce stress on water supplies and contribute to meeting the DEFRA Food Industry Sustainability Strategy (FISS) absolute target for the food industry to reduce water use by 20% by 2020 compared with 2007.
- By 2015 sending zero food waste to landfill.
- Continue to make a significant contribution to packaging optimisation, which will reduce the carbon impact of packaging.
- Help deliver stakeholders’ ambitious environmental performance targets
- Support ethical sourcing practices incorporating sustainability principles.
Agreed 28/9/09, updated 18/3/13
Pages On This Website
- Chilled prepared food sector progress and barriers for information on mitigation measures implemented by the sector and future constraints.
- See our Autumn 2011, Spring 2012 and Spring 2016 newsletters for Aims progress updates